Friday, March 1, 2013

Big Bird Was Always a Favorite of Mine

Dressing classy is what I like to do.  I don't put time and effort into my appearance to necessarily attract attention, but to show that I do care about presenting well.  I want those around me to know that I plan to do my very best everyday.  Being well groomed is a great first impression in that direction.  I've apparently made a few fashion faux pas's in the last few months, though.  

First of all, I wore a sweatshirt in public.  Sweats are hardly ever a part of my wardrobe, but I bought this nice, soft sweatshirt that has West Point written across the front.  Fridays are Spirit Day, so I wore my sweatshirt to show some army pride.  Within the first few hours at work, some co-workers said to me:

"Jana, what happened?  You usually look so classy!"
"Are you going to be a mom?"
Daaaaah. 

Then, again, trying to show some Army pride I wore an oversized yellow sweater that I actually like very much.  The day I debuted the sweater, my student stopped me mid sentence as I was giving directions and said:

"I'm sorry.  I can't take you seriously when you're wearing a sweater that makes you look like Big Bird."
That time, I had to laugh.  

Sometimes I make mistakes, but I like to think that I do it with flair ;)

I really love my life.  I do.  Funny things are said to me all day long at my job and I get to spend time with children.  I often write down what I heard when I get home from work so I won't forget what made me smile that day.  

For example:

A kindergartner pulls out his juice box and sings:
"I'm a JUICE. BOX. HEROOOO!"
I snicker in the background.
Teacher says:
"No, no, honey.  The song says, 'Juke Box hero!'"
"What's a juke box?"

During a science lesson, Teacher asks:
"What types of matter are there?"
Student responds:
"Gas."
"Ok, what kinds of gases do we know about?"
"Toots."

I said to a student after a test:
"You're a smart girl, you know?"
And with all seriousness, she responds:
"I think we've already established that."

Since the year started, I've had a lot to smile about.  I've spent wonderful time with friends and family and I have even had a few adventures.  

The start off the brand new year, I was able to make it to Times Square and be there when the ball dropped.  Seriously, one of the best moments of my life.


Towards the end of January and the beginning of February, I was invited to attend two different military balls.  It's been awhile since I've been able to dress up.  I had such fun with wonderful company and being surrounded by people who dedicate so much to our country.  

  
Winter came in nicely.  Thankfully, it was only short and sweet.



I have been able to get in some personal photography, which I am so thankful for!


I have now been down to Virginia twice to get in some good old fashioned flee markets and antiquing with my Aunt and cousins.



I'm on a quest to start buying furniture for my first apartment.  So far, so good!  Nothing is set up or finished yet, but I'm working on it!


I found an Italian market.  I stop every time I see one!


On my most recent trip to Virginia, I was able to see some friends that I love dearly:

Sorella Mallory.  She showed me around her town and we enjoyed delicious food and a serious chick flick.   Oh my gosh.  I miss girl's nights so much.  She inspires me and teaches me so much in our chats.  She's one fabulous girl who is taking on life brilliantly and I love that she's so close to me now on the east coast.  More friends need to move to the east coast....hint.


Lovely picture...we need more...with more Italy girls in it. 


I finally was able to get down to Southern Virginia after six years.  I haven't been back since I left Christmas 2006.  Though I only had about 30 minutes in Buena Vista, it was a wonderful 30 minutes.  It looks just how I remember.  This is where my life began.  This is where Jana the teenager became Jana the adult.  I made some wonderful life altering decisions here.  There are days that I wish I could go back and change some of those decisions, but then again, I do love my life.  


And finally, I was able to visit my lovely friend and former roommate, Liz.  She married a wonderful man and moved to Southern Virginia where she now has the most adorable little family.  It was a wonderful reunion and I hope to get back down to see her again soon :)


And my favorite photo so far this year.  Liz and James named their baby girl Jana.  Now...isn't this perfect?  Fun little story:  I'm named after my mother's roommate from Rick's College.  Liz and I were roommates at BYU-Idaho (formerly known as Rick's College) and she named her baby Jana, too.  Maybe someday this little baby Jana will grow up and have a roommate that will name her daughter Jana as well.  Haha...maybe!



See what I mean?  So, I sometimes have bad days (like when I make fashion mistakes) but then I look at what I've been apart of so far this year and I have a lot to smile about :)

-Jana



2 comments:

  1. Aww, do you have a pic of you and your mom's roommate Jana?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking everywhere for it. I haven't found it yet, but I know it's somewhere!

      Delete